POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal texture speed problems (~20kb) : Re: Metal texture speed problems (~20kb) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal texture speed problems (~20kb)
From: Rune
Date: 9 Aug 2000 16:47:39
Message: <3991c36b@news.povray.org>
"Mark James Lewin" wrote:
> Attached is a jpg of part of a simple scene I am doing that
> involves metal textures. At present, the render is taking
> _far_ too long, because to avoid aliasing errors, I've had
> to use sampling method 2 at a depth of 5.

I've made a CD Include File where I needed the color effects to work in a
little similar way. I know a method that worked very well for me.

First let me say that using a union normal instead of spiral wouldn't make
any difference, because your frequency is so high.

Also, first let me say that you should NOT use a radial pattern. It is a
great misunderstanding to think that radial normals produce radial-like
reflections. Union or wood is the way to go.

And now to the point. In your texture you need rings that are so small that
the individual rings are "invisible", and you use high frequency and slow AA
to do that. However, you can fake infinitely thin rings by using a onion (or
wood) pattern that is scaled so big that it doesn't repeat at all. You need
to use an average of two such normals - they must be the same, except that
the one must have a positive normal, while the other must be negative. Also
remember to use ramp_wave.

If you need more help with it, please tell me, and I'd be more than happy to
help!

Greetings,

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated July 23)